Please see tips from the Irvine Police Department regarding the upcoming time change.
Remember to turn your clocks back one hour! Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday, Nov. 3 at 2 a.m.
While you adjust to the time change, it is also important to think about how the change may affect your personal safety.
The following tips are provided to help you prepare for the longer nights:
- If you walk or ride a bike, make sure to wear reflective clothing and take a flashlight with you.
- Ensure there is sufficient lighting around the interior and exterior of your home.
- Install motion sensitive lights or modify lights on timers for the additional dark hours.
If you commute in the early morning or evening after dark:
- Check that your headlights are working properly.
- Change your windshield wiper blades.
- Check the wear and tear on your tires.
Use the time change as a reminder to check other important safety items, such as:
- Check your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide for current batteries.
- Update your emergency preparedness kits for your house and your car.
- Update your contact list and emergency evacuation plan.
For more information and other crime prevention tips, visit our website at irvinepd.org.